Are you interested in studying Medicine and Surgery in Nigeria? If so, you may be wondering about the specific subjects required to pursue this course at the university level, as well as what is needed to gain admission through JAMB and WAEC. Look no further! This guide provides you with the essential WAEC and JAMB subject combinations needed to study Medicine and Surgery in Nigeria, as well as the direct entry requirements, list of federal universities offering the course, and answers to frequently asked questions.
WAEC and JAMB Subject Combination for Medicine and Surgery
If you’re planning to study Medicine and Surgery in Nigeria, you will need to achieve at least five credits in core subjects in your O-level exams (WAEC, NECO, or NABTEB). In addition, you must register for and excel in four subjects through JAMB, aiming for a minimum score of 220 to increase your chances of admission. The subjects required for Medicine and Surgery are the same across all Nigerian educational institutions, including universities, polytechnics, and colleges of education.
Subjects Required to Study Medicine and Surgery
The subjects required to study Medicine and Surgery in Nigeria are as follows:
– Mathematics (required for O-level exams, but not for JAMB)
– English Language
In particular, Mathematics is not obligatory for JAMB registration, but it is a compulsory subject for O-level exams. Meanwhile, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology are essential for both JAMB and O-level exams for studying Medicine and Surgery in Nigeria.
JAMB and WAEC Subjects for Medicine and Surgery
For enrollment in JAMB, Medicine and Surgery requires the following subjects:
– Use of English
In comparison, WAEC mandates a minimum of eight subjects, including core subjects such as Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, English Language, and Biology, with the remaining three or four subjects being optional.
List of Federal Universities Offering Medicine and Surgery
Several federal universities in Nigeria offer Medicine and Surgery courses, including:
– University Of Benin, Benin City
– University Of Ilorin, Ilorin
– Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
– University Of Ibadan, Ibadan
And many others.
Frequently Asked Questions
– Is Mathematics compulsory for studying Medicine and Surgery in JAMB? No, Mathematics is not a compulsory subject for JAMB.
– What are the compulsory subjects for studying Medicine and Surgery? Compulsory subjects for JAMB include Use of English, Physics, Biology, and Chemistry.
– What are the main subjects for studying Medicine and Surgery? The main subjects for Medicine and Surgery in JAMB are Biology, English Language, Chemistry, and Physics.
– Can I study Medicine and Surgery without Physics in JAMB? No, you cannot study the course without Physics for both JAMB and O-level exams.
In summary, to pursue Medicine and Surgery, you’ll need to satisfy certain requirements, including the core subject combinations and additional subjects needed for both WAEC and JAMB. Furthermore, the guide provides essential details on direct entry requirements and a list of federal universities offering the course.
This comprehensive article offers you all the information you need to know to pursue a career in Medicine and Surgery in Nigeria.