The Nigeria Computer Society (NCS) has opened applications for the 2023 NCS – Jim Ovia Foundation Scholarship Fund, which is open to suitable applicants.
This scholarship has been established with the goal of aiding in the development of information technology (IT) capabilities in Nigeria and supplying the country with a qualified workforce to drive technological progress.
Furthermore, the scholarship also helps to encourage grass-root identification and participation of computer science students in association-related activities.
Who is Eligible for 2023 NCS – Jim Ovia Scholarship
To be eligible for NCS-Jim Ovia Scholarship Fund;
- You must be a member of Nigeria Computer Society (NCS) for post graduate applicants and research fellows
- For undergraduates, you must be a member of Nigeria Association of Computing Students (NACOS).
Scholarship Targets and Categories
The 2023 NCS – Jim Ovia Scholarship Fund is targeted at a particular set of outstanding computer science and information technology students at undergraduate and postgraduates levels.
The scholarship is distributed among the undergraduates and postgraduates as outlined below;
- Doctorate (PhD) students – 5 applicants
- Masters (MsC) – 10 applicants
- Undergraduates – 20 applicants
The number of applicants shown above indicates the number of awards to be given for each scholarship categories.
Instructions for Applicants
1. This scholarship is awarded to undergraduate and postgraduate (MsC and PhD) students in all fields of Computer Science and Information Technology which are not limited to the list below:
- Computer science
- Information Technology
- Software Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Information Systems
- Artificial Intelligence
- Robotics etc.
2. You’re required to have a minimum of Second-Class upper.
3. If awarded, you expected to channel the award or grant towards tuition, accommodation and books.
4. The scholarship is based on how active and visible you are at the local chapter and national level of the Society.
5. The award is one-time opportunity during a course of study.
6. If shortlisted for the scholarship, you will be paid twice in two consecutive sessions subject to satisfactory academic performance.
7. You must be a registered and financially up-to-date indigent NCS members to benefit from the fund.
Required Documents for Scholarship Application
Specifics for Undergraduates (BSc.):
During application, the following documents will be required for uploads:
- Admission letter: This will indicate your course and number of years to be spent, so that your eligibility can be ascertained as below:
- 100 level students are not eligible to apply.
- 200 level to 400 level are eligible for a 5-year course.
- 200 level to 300 level are eligible for a 4-year course.
- Academic results of previous session: This must be duly signed and stamped, and should indicate the applicant’s cumulative grade point average (CGPA) with minimum of second class upper.
- A recommendation letter that is duly signed and stamped by the Head of Department
- An evidence of membership of NACOS with NCS Membership Number.
Specifics for Postgraduates (Ph.D & M.Sc):
- Admission letter.
- Duly signed and stamped Academic Results and Certificates:
- B.Sc. certificate with minimum of second class upper (both Ph.D. & M.Sc. Applicants)
- Semesters results:
- Ph.D. Applicants: First Year Results (1st and 2nd semesters results)
- M.Sc. Applicants: First Year 1st semester result
- Applicants on project level are not eligible to apply.
- Signed justification for the scholarship.
- A 2-page proposal (ONLY required for postgraduate award).
- Two recommendation letters from the institution, duly signed and stamped (by HOD, Dean, or Vice-Chancellor etc).
NYSC discharge certificate.
- A yearly progress report for renewal of award.
- Evidence of past activities with National and Chapters for Conferences and workshop attendance.
- A letter of recommendation from the NCS Chapter which the applicant belongs to show the level of involvement with the society.
Application Deadline for 2023 NCS – Jim Ovia Scholarship is on Saturday, 6 May, 2023.
For further enquiries, send an email to email@example.com