Peter Ferdinand Drucker was an Austrian-American management consultant, educator and author whose books are of immense impact in the world of management, business and life generally. His writings have also contributed to the philosophical and practical foundation of modern business cooperation. He is often described as “the founder of modern management”. Peter Ferdinand Drucker also won many awards during his lifetime which includes the Presidential Medal of Freedom and many more.
However, every year in memory of him, an essay challenge is held by the Peter Drucker Community in Europe. This essay challenge is meant to help build young entrepreneurs and engage young minds in addressing the opportunities and challenges of our time in the lights of Peter Drucker’s human-centred management philosophy.
The community is hereby inviting students and young professionals to the ongoing Peter Drucker Challenge to submit their entries and stand a chance to compete with their peers all over the world and win amazing prizes.
Deadline for the Peter Drucker Essay Challenge
Submission for this challenge started on the 10th of March, 2023 and is meant to end on the 31st of May, 2023 after which the award ceremony will take place on the 30th of November, 2023.
Eligibility Criteria for Peter Drucker Essay Challenge
To be considered for this essay challenge, participants must meet the following criteria.
- Age: all participants in this challenge must be within the age range of 18-35. Underaged or overaged participants will be disqualified in the scrutinization process.
- Participants from all 195 countries across seven continents on the globe are welcome i.e anyone from anywhere can write.
- You must be an undergraduate or postgraduate student, manager of people, projects, budgets, and/or processes, an entrepreneur or business owner, licensed professional, social volunteer or community leader.
- You must have been selected no more than once (or not at all) among the top 10 since 2010. However, you can participate in the 2022 Contest (if still meeting the age criteria of 18 – 35 years inclusive)
Note: Failure to meet the above mentioned criteria may lead to inability to participate or disqualification.
Benefits of the Peter Drucker Challenge
The following are benefits enjoyed by the best performing participants of the Peter Drucker Challenge:
- A cash prize of up to 2.000 EURO
- Complimentary in-person pass for the 15th Global Peter Drucker Forum, to be held in Vienna, Austria on November 30 & December 1, 2023
- Invitation to attend the Gala event with Awards ceremony and to participate in a cultural program
- Opportunity to win the Special Recognition Award for the most original essay
- Certificate with ranking
- Invitation to join the Drucker Challenge Alumni Community on social media networks
- One-year-all-access subscription to the Harvard Business Review
- Publication: Ranking list, link to your essay, your photo and bio on www.druckerchallenge.org. Your essay may be re-published by your university/company with credits given to Peter Drucker Society Europe
- Funding of travel expenses: Your international travel and accommodation costs for attending the Forum will be reimbursed based on our travel process & policy. Please read the policy terms carefully to avoid travel contingencies.
Note that the benefits reduce correspondingly with the rank of each participant from 1st position to 15th.
Essay Topic: Bouncing back emerging stronger after setbacks
In our daily life, business and careers, we humans often face different types of difficulty especially when it comes to career. Since this essay challenge aims at training young minds on how to utilise opportunities and manage challenges, this year’s topic is based on how to bounce back and emerge stronger after setbacks.
Participants are expected to write about the setbacks their business or an organisation they’re part of have experienced before, how it affected them, how they managed it and how they- the organisation and Peter Drucker community can work together to build a greater capacity that will not only help to face future challenges but to also come out stronger.
Participants are also advised to share their story if they feel it will inspire people. Participants might as well write any organisation they think demonstrates an inspiring level of resilience and what is the key to it.
You can also endeavour to take your essay to the next level by talking about skills that can be acquired to ensure a “bounce back” in difficult times. Do you perceive any difference between the old and new generation in terms of bouncing back after setbacks?
Finally, participants are also advised to talk about the importance of maintaining and improving organisational and personal resilience. If you have the opportunity to choose from varieties of superpowers, does resilience stand a chance of topping your scale of preference.
Evaluation Criteria for the Peter Drucker Challenge
- The originality of your thoughts and insights about the topic is a major part of the evaluation. How well you know the topic and how good your essay is in terms of the main idea.
- Your ability to express yourself and your fluency in the English language. This is also another factor that determines whether you’ll win or lose the challenge. It is very important to be able to convey your thoughts into words for people to read and understand.
- Research work and use of external resources. To establish your points, you need facts and statistical analysis. This will give the evaluators an impression that you really have a firm understanding of what you’re writing about.
- Your conclusion that could be drawn from Peter Drucker’s books and articles. You must demonstrate interest in Peter Drucker’s works and must thereby come to a conclusion that could be found in Peter Drucker’s works.
Guidelines for Participating in the Peter Drucker Challenge
- Your essay must be between 1,500 – 2,000 words (excluding footnotes and graphics). It must be in either PDF or DOCX format.
- The font size must be 12 and the essay must be in English Language
- Your essay must be written by only you, group works and plagiarism is not allowed. The use of softwares such as Chat-GPT and others is not allowed.
- Your essay must be original, realistic and relatable.
For more details or enquiries, click here.
To fill the submission form and upload your essay, use the button below.