Early career researchers (junior and mid-level researchers) can now apply to the Nigerian Institute of Medical Research (NIMR) Grantsmanship and Mentorship Training Programme 2022. Applications must be submitted by September 11, 2022, for the NIMR Grantsmanship and Mentorship Training Program.
With the aim of creating a sufficient and long-lasting network of dedicated early career researchers with an inter-disciplinary and multi-institutional collaborative approach, proficiency in creating high quality, competitive grant writing, and capacity for healthcare research and development in Nigeria, the Nigerian Institute of Medical Research (NIMR) will host its biannual Grantsmanship and Mentorship Training Programme.
Areas Covered by the NIMR Grantsmanship and Mentorship Training Program
- Understanding of health services research methods
- Formulation of research questions and hypotheses
- Selection of appropriate statistical tools for data analysis
- Ethics and Ethics Permission in Research
- How to search and identify targeted funding agencies and understand funders’ requirements
- Writing compelling grant proposals
- Identification of the technicalities of the peer review process and demonstration using a practice peer review process
- Improving proficiency in training and communication skills including writing plain language summaries
- Training on proficiency in facilitation of micro-teaching session on mentorship.
- Principles of establishing and managing partnerships and collaborations.
Location and Dates for the NIMR Grantsmanship and Mentorship Training Program:
The Nigeria Institute of Medical Research, which is located at 6 Edmund Crescent in Yaba, Lagos, will host this 21-day residential training.
The training is scheduled to take place between October 9 and October 30, 2022.
The course is intended for early- and mid-career academics who want to enhance their capacity for competitive and quality grant-writing, mentoring and healthcare research. About 30 people in total will be chosen for the course.
The National Grantsmanship and Mentorship Training Programme Curriculum, created by the Nigerian Institute of Medical Research for the sessions, will serve as the workshop’s guide.
The successful candidates will receive instruction through practical sessions over the course of the 21 days.
The training program for grantsmanship and mentoring will be run by well-known researchers who have won grants from national and international funding agencies, are highly published, and have experience sitting on or managing grant review panels.
The NIMR Foundation will fully fund the 21-day residential training course, including travel, lodging, and full board.
Who Qualifies for the Training in NIMR Grantsmanship and Mentorship?
To be qualified, you must offer proof of:
- You are a Nigerian citizen (from any of the six-geopolitical zones).
- If you are a junior or mid-level researcher who is just starting out in their career and have finished one of the research education programs listed below:
- You have recently—typically within the last six years—received a research doctorate (PhD, DPhil, or MD) from an accredited academic institution.
Entry Requirements for NIMR
Application must include all of the following files as one single.pdf document:
- A 2-page Bio-Sketch (in NIH format) with no more than 5 publications.
- A one-page Research Concept Note (Specifications: Times New Roman, Size 12, Spacing 1.15).
- 500 maximum words Motivational Letter (Specifications: Times New Roman, Size 12, Spacing 1.15).
- A recommendation/support letter from dean/provost of the faculty/college stating:
- > Approval for participation in the workshop
- > Benefits of the workshop to the researcher
- > Applicant’s commitment to be available throughout the 21 days without break
- > Support for the applicant to step down the training within his/her institution on completing the training workshop.
- Before the program, successful applicants will need to show proof that they have completed the Ethics Course (CITI).
The NIMR Mentorship Training Program Application Process
Candidates who are interested and meet the requirements should apply by clicking the button below. Also, make sure to:
- Complete and submit the aforementioned online form.
- Deliver the necessary paperwork, which should include a single PDF file with the following information:
- >Brief motivation essay of about 500-word maximum
- >Research proposal, one page
- >A short bio sketch (maximum of 2 pages)
- >A recommendation/support letter from dean/provost of the faculty/college
[button color=”primary” size=”small” link=”http://nimrfoundation.org/applications/” icon=”” target=”true” nofollow=”true”]Official Application Link[/button]
If you have any questions or comments please drop them in the comment box below, and don’t forget to share with your friends, thanks.